Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Storytelling 1: Now & Then (My Favourite Childhood Memories)


“I can’t wait to be a teenager!” That’s what a 7 year old kid told me the other day. Well, I’m going to be 20 years old this year and I really missed my childhood days. Do you remember the days when you played hopscotch with your friends in school during recess? Or the times when you were scolded by your teacher in thick black-framed spectacles as she wielded a feather duster?

One of my best memories I had when I was in Primary School was playing playground with my friends after school. Instead of heading back home and completing our homework, we spent our time at the playground till late evening. Back then, I don’t own a hand phone, so when I’m late, my mum would went down the void deck and look for me. I’m a very stubborn kid. I will only go home unless my mum would buy me an ice-cream. Sometimes she would buy burgers and fries from McDonalds just to bring me home. Well, I love to eat, so my mum uses food as baits to bring me home.

Most of my awesome childhood memories were from my primary school days. Often during recess time, you would see students crowding around the hopscotch area. The outlines are usually drawn with a chalk, and a stone or a bean bag is used as a marker during the game. Each player must skip through the course, with one leg, without touching the lines or the marker. Regardless of gender, everybody will play this game. It’s a good bonding session with my friends.

Another one was the Flag Erasers. Priced at 10 cents each in school bookshops, these 2.5cm by 3.5cm erasers feature the flags of almost all countries in the world. In the old days, it was a common sight to see Primary School kids playing the "flipping your eraser over your opponent's" game during recess. They also inserted staples into them and challenged their friends to the eraser spinning game. It was such a funny game. My friends and I would laugh at each other and every day we will buy new erasers.

My favourite snack when I was a kid was the Fancy Gem Biscuits. It was manufactured by Singapore's old branded Khong Guan Biscuit Company, these little biscuits with sweet star-shaped coating at the top were joyful tidbits for children. And they came in various colors -- pink, yellow, green and white. I really it. I would only eat the sweet sugar coating and I will throw the biscuit away.  Another snack that I really loved is the Biscuit Piring Wafer. It’s not only nice and colourful but it’s very cheap. Whenever I am hungry when I’m on my way home, I would buy this and eat it.

I noticed that kids nowadays are more prone to the technologies such as iPads and smart phones. Even a kid as young as 5 years old is familiar with all those technologies. Back then when I was 5 years old, I really had difficulties using my mum’s Nokia phone. They seldom spent their time outside doing some outdoor activities with some other random kids. They spent most their time indoors with their gadgets. If possible, I want to be a kid again. No stress. No nothing. I really miss my childhood days….

No comments:

Post a Comment